A Bangladeshi Girls Perspective!

Struggles Us British Bangladeshi Girls Face 

1.I love going Bangladesh and I always visit after ever 1-2 years but my younger sister isn't as fond as I am but she has no choice haha! and Bangladeshi families only know one holiday.

2. I cant cook and as a girl that is highly expected of you especially when you get married and I get compared to relatives that I don't even know and apparently they are as good as Gordan Ramsey but my mum always cooked for me and I never was interested, to be honest even after several nagging from my mother.

3. Going out at night! what even is that!?

4. ' I don't have a brother ' whenever I say this to somebody they would look at me like they pity me and that its the greatest loss of my life and I am 22 but still when my mother says she has only two daughters people ask her stuff like ; why didn't she keep trying to have a boy or god will give her another child, like seriously? we are perfectly happy with two girls.

5. Living with extended family = NO privacy.

6.Feeling restricted, I always wanted to move out for university but could not, want to get a job away from my hometown but feel like I can't, getting a career in a field that I want.sometimes we just end up compromising a lot.

7.Pressured to get married or even when my parents aren't even considering getting me married there are always random aunties telling them to look for grooms or even the old 'My friends-sisters aunty has a son will you be interested to get your daughter married, he has a degree '

8. Getting a degree so we can show-off to the whole of Bangladesh and the world,


9.Clothing has to be very 'appropriate' and sometimes gaudy.

10. Weddings , Birthdays and any gathering is a marriage matrimony.



Comments